References for Higher Degrees and Jobs
I will write your letter if,
- I was your personal tutor.
- I was your thesis supervisor.
- I was your second year project supervisor.
- Your thesis supervisor/personal tutor is unavailable and it's urgent.
- You have a compelling reason to think that I know you better than your supervisor/tutor (you will need to convince me)
Presuming you don't need to convince me, could you tell me anything about,
- Your year in industry placement/summer work in engineering etc.
- Languages spoken and relative fluency (not English, I can find that myself)
- Hobbies and Society memberships (e.g. Piano Grade 4, Drama Society, Astronomy, Photography, Reading science fiction novels (not "reading" - almost everyone reads), The music of Carly Simon (not "Music" - everyone has heard a radio at some point.), recreational badminton, Chinese society, Startrek Society, TSC, Baking Society etc.)
- Sports (as in university teams etc. just playing a sport is a hobby... e.g. Badminton University Mixed Feathers 1 2016-2017 Sheffield & District Leagues, 2 x Badminton England Bronze Mixed Doubles Events, UK ranking 16/17 season: 7245 & Sheffield University/Sheffield Hallam University "Varsity" Badminton 2017)
- Any volunteering/charity work (Dog's Trust, Sheffield Care Homes etc.)
- Membership of institutions IET/IEEE etc.
- Any engineering "outreach" work (for Schools etc.)
- Anything else of note. (e.g. Graduated upper IInd class Hons. The Guitar Institute of Technology, CA, USA, 1976, Worked on the front desk of OCP Corp., Detroit, 1986-1987. Toured with GNR as guitar tech. on the 1991 - 1993 "Use Your Illusion" tour. Circumnavigation (Portsmouth to Portsmouth) as Trimmers Mate aboard "Mariquita" (William Fife and Son), 2010. British national lure coursing, best in breed champion with Bradwell White Flash "Apollo" (Ibizan Hound) 2012)
Much of this background is for my benefit for use in 'framing' the reference rather than for direct inclusion as much of it will be elsewhere in your application I would have thought. You might conclude therefore that I do not remember you... well probably not without seeing a photo, but luckly I will see a photo.
If you want to send me your CV that's fine but I will not edit it unless by prior agreement. If your CV needs work try the careers service